Lead Software Architect, Microservices, Cloud, R&D, Energy Sector
Central Birmingham (to £75k) part-week remote working a future option
An elite technology innovation centre is looking for a Lead Software Architect to join a small team delivering an energy research platform based on a Home Energy Management system. This independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system.
The Lead Software Architect will provide technical consultancy - within a multi-disciplinary and young team comprising software + hardware engineers, DevOps, Data Scientists, BAs - on a wide range of projects from data platforms, application integrations, web services, etc. as well as the technical oversight of third parties. The role will need a significant breadth and depth of experience; a senior tech professional with excellent tech lead and soft skills, able to offer technical guidance and expertise both within the organisation and externally.
The Lead Software Architect will need a strong academic background and experience of:
- a wide range of, mainly cloud based, software technologies and applications
- microservices architecture and event driven architecture
- the use of high throughput message processing platforms such as Apache Kafka
- both software/code design and architecture design patterns and the use of UML
- a range of high-level software languages such as Java 8, Node JS, C
- SQL (MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases
- Docker and container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes
You will also need:
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- The ability to conceptualise new ideas, thinking differently and encouraging a creative culture
- The ability to excel in a rapidly growing, fast-paced organisational environment
- An enquiring mind with desire to challenge the status quo
More on the remit:
Producing software architectures and working with internal development teams to deliver internal projects; providing technical consultancy support for internal stakeholders on a wide range of projects from data platforms, application integrations, web services …
The technical oversight of third parties delivering software functionality for the group.
Providing technical direction and support to the systems development team including developing software engineering skills, increasing awareness and understanding of key technologies and identifying new, useful technology paths.
Providing consultancy to the wider organisation helping shape architecture and technology selections for a diverse range of projects
Lead the development of architectural solutions that are consistent with group objectives and capabilities including working with software development and DevOps teams to ensure consistency between architecture and implementation, support integration and integration testing against the defined architecture and maintain the software architecture to support new requirements and/or technologies.
Benefits include: the option for part-week remote working following an agreed employment period; an annual company off-site event; flexible working hours; snacks and drinks; 28 days holiday; 2 for 1 contributory pension scheme; life assurance; discretionary bonus scheme and a genuinely friendly and supportive environment.